Published on: 15th March 2019
The Sous Chef contributes to the success of Planet Hollywood through the direction and control of restaurant operations to ensure a positive guest experience and company profitability. The Sous Chef’s responsibility is to direct the operation of the restaurant, attain sales and profit objectives, maintain the highest standards of food quality, service, cleanliness, safety and sanitation by assisting in the direction and supervising of supervisors and staff members. The Sous Chef is responsible for the Back of the House in the absence of the Chef.
Reasonable Accommodations StatementTo perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
Ensure a High-Quality OperationThe following list is not inclusive of additional responsibilities that may be requested by the Manager on duty, AGM & GM.
- Provide staff members, managers, and Guests with a positive experience and atmosphere.
- Ensure prompt, friendly service according to Planet Hollywood’s guidelines.
- Promote an atmosphere of positive Guest Relations.
- Build Guest relationships and respond to Guest complaints or concerns professionally and in a timely manner.
- Manage the responsible service of alcohol. Monitor alcohol awareness.
- Support and implement marketing initiatives.
- Maintain and inspect dining room, food receiving, preparation, production, and storage areas to ensure that health and safety regulations are adhered to at all times. Correct unsafe practices or conditions.
- Supervise cleaning and maintenance of equipment.
- Maintain restaurant cleanliness and organization.
- Review financial information with the Chef and GM, such as sales and costs and monitor budget to ensure efficient operation and that kitchen expenditures stay within budget limitations.
- Work with the Chef to create plans to correct any deviations from budget.
- Use the computer for review and analysis of information. Responsible for the financial results of the kitchen operations
- Develops hourly staff in all BOH systems, procedures and ensures adherence to all company standards and recipes
- Orders, receives, stores, prepares and serves all product to Planet Hollywood specifications
- Maintains and inspects food receiving, preparation, production, and storage areas to ensure that health and safety regulations are adhered to at all times. Corrects unsafe practices or conditions
- Maintains all HOH cleanliness standards
- Assists with calculating food cost
- Maximizing profitability in all cost categories while maintaining guest value
- Ensures all HOH systems are in place i.e. Line Check Logs, Control Forms, Production Sheets
- Ensures that labour scheduling and productivity are maintained effectively
- Assists the Chef with unit level menu rollouts
- Ensures the standards and policies are maintained
- Ensures recipe adherence
- Achieves Food Cost and BOH labour costs by ensuring all procedures are followed
- Monitors the quality of menu items
- Ownership – fully supports all company and concept decisions and directives
- Communication – participates in department meetings, manager meetings and divisional meetings as required
- Ensures the production of high-quality foods on a consistent basis
- Directs kitchen activities and performance of back of the house members on a shift-by-shift basis
- Ensures positive Guest experience by monitoring and ensuring timely delivery of food product
- Follows standardized recipes, preparation, and portioning and presentation procedures
- Maintains organized kitchen, dish, and storage areas
- Supervises cleaning and maintenance of equipment and arranges for repairs, contracts, and other services. Maintain kitchen cleanliness and organization for both the interior and exterior of the restaurant
- Maintains and controls kitchen assets (equipment and supplies)
- Monitors restaurant’s on-hand inventory for waste and theft
- Creates positive relationships with product vendors and service providers. Follows through on all work done by service providers. Ensures proper receipt of goods and accurate invoicing
- Conducts daily line checks to ensure product standards and specifications
- Ensures adequate inventory levels that allow for Guest needs but does not tie up company assets in unneeded and costly inventory
- Drives positive results for labour through proactive scheduling and reacting to business trends
- Controls operating costs by instituting awareness through the kitchen
- Conduct inventories and calculate food costs. Use the computer to facilitate collection and analysis of information. Responds to discrepancies from budgeted costs
- Ensures that all staff members are in compliance with rest and meal break requirements
Manage Staff Members
- Ensure quality recruiting and training of new staff members, supervisors, and managers.
- Train and motivate all staff members.
- Create positive relationships with staff members and managers by treating all members with respect.
- Minimize turnover by reporting all staff member and manager issues to the management team.
- Support and practice an open door policy.
- Assist in the coaching and counselling of staff members whose performance is below expectations.
- Develop staff members.
- Assure compliance with company policies, practices and procedures; communicate changes.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal laws, regulations, and guidelines.
Advocate a Team Environment
- Display, encourage and inspire high morale and motivation in the restaurant.
- Communicate with other managers using the manager’s log on a daily basis.
- Show daily attention, participation and sensitivity needed to establish credibility and promote unity in the team.
- Set a good example through attitude, involvement, and positive influence.
- Establish an environment that does not permit or promote sexual or any other kinds of harassment.
- Ensure restaurant is staffed to avoid workload and poor morale issues.
- Report staff member relation issues of a sensitive nature to the management team and Human Resources.
Manage Personal Development
- Provide effective leadership.
- Demonstrate organizational skills. Complete assignments and duties on time.
- Develop personal goals for professional growth.
- Maintain a pleasant, positive, and professional attitude in the eyes of staff members, management team, and Guests.
- Exhibit a neat and clean appearance consistent with a professional image.
- Execute company programs and decisions with support and commitment.
- Communication- Professional oral and written communication skills. Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language of the restaurant.
- Time Management- Has great organization and time management skills.
- Stress Tolerance- Maintains composure in stressful or adverse situations.
- Problem Solving- Can resolve difficult or complicated challenges.
- Influencing Others- Influences others to be excited and committed to furthering the organization’s objectives. Able to take and give direction.
- Adaptability- Adapts to changing business needs, conditions, and work responsibilities.
- Teamwork- Promotes cooperation and commitment within a team to achieve goals and deliverables.
- Business Acumen- Aligns the direction, products, services, and performance of a business with the rest of the organization.
- Attendance- Excellent attendance is required with schedule flexibility determined by business needs. Must be able to work all shifts when the restaurant is open.
Skills, Abilities & Experience
- Experience: Two (2) years of hourly kitchen experience required. Two (2) years of experience as a Sous Chef or Assistant Kitchen Manager for a full service, high volume restaurant.
- Computer Skills: Basic knowledge of Word and Excel
- Certificates & Licenses: Must maintain current certification in ServSafe.
- Restaurant / Kitchen